For webseries and gaming fans Dayeanne Hutton‘s voice is no stranger to them. From starring in the Emmy award winning Emma Approved to voicing Kate in Life is Strange Dayeanne is a bright ray of sunshine in the web content world. We were lucky enough to chat with Dayeanne about voice acting, webseries and the wonder that is Harriet Smith.
1. What is your first memory of acting?
I’ve been surrounded by theatre for as long as I can remember due to both my parents’ involvement/enjoyment of it! My first memory of being in a show is from Kindergarten. I was about 5 and my school did Wizard of Oz. I played a Jitterbug as well as a member of the Lullaby League! My mom choreographed both pieces.
2. When did you know that acting was something that you wanted to pursue?
I’ve always enjoyed books and fantasies and the idea of playing around in a life that is different than mine. I began to take acting more seriously around age 12 or 13. I had to choose between acting classes and soccer (which I’d been doing poorly for years). I chose acting and began expanding from just theatre to also submitting for film projects! There was never a moment I even considered not having acting in my life somehow.
3. What was the experience of Emma Approved like for you? Were you familiar with the novel beforehand?
Emma Approved was an incredible and joyous experience! We all worked together for a whole year, and the cast and crew are all phenomenal people. I was also thrilled to be bringing a Jane Austen character to life. Pride and Prejudice has been a favorite book of mine since school. I read all of Emma before my audition so that I would have a good grasp of the original piece!
I continue to do my best to create a safe and positive space on the internet during my own Twitch streams.
4. Did you enjoy translating Harriet’s story into a fresh medium?
Absolutely!! I’m so honored to be among the handful of actresses that have brought Harriet Smith to life. And I really connected on a special level with her. There is definitely a piece of her in me all the time, and I brought real aspects of myself to my portrayal as well.
5. We assume you can’t tell us anything about the current hints of a revival, however can you tell us if you’re excited by the activity happening on Twitter and the moments App?
Ah yes, spoilers… I’m quite excited over the characters renewed social media activities!
6. Since Emma Approved you’ve moved into voice acting – how was the experience different from traditional acting? What are the aspects that you enjoy?
Voiceover is so much fun, but a very different experience. You’re not being filmed, so you don’t need to focus on how you look, or where the camera is. You just have to connect with the characters and feel what they’re feeling; so you can breath life into them. It’s so much fun providing different voices to animated characters. I’m a big nerd, so being in a video game is a dream, I can’t wait to do more!
7. What are the challenges you face when voice acting, particularly voice acting for a game?
Sometimes roles can be very vocally demanding, however my experience with Life is Strange didn’t involve much screaming or yelling.
8. What was the best part of voicing Kate Marsh in Life is Strange?
The best part is being a part of the beautiful Life is Strange community. The fans are amazing; supportive and kind, they really love this game and appreciate the actors involved. Kate’s storyline in particular has helped many people come to terms/deal with their own depression and struggles. I’m honored to be even a small part of that. I continue to do my best to create a safe and positive space on the internet during my own Twitch streams.
9. Can you tell us about any upcoming projects that you have?
I’m currently focused on the growth of my Twitch channel and some Approved secrets!